Documents to prove your identity and address must be provided for new applications. For all Freedom Pass applications one proof of name and age, and one proof of address is required.
These should be photocopies and not originals. Original documents will not be returned.
1 x Proof of your name and age:
- Current passport
- Medical card
- Birth certificate (unless your name has changed)
- Current driving licence
- Letter of state pension entitlement
- European ID card
1 x Proof of your residential address:
- Current council tax bill/letter/payment book
- Current council/housing association rent book/statement/letter/tenancy agreement
- Current television licence
- Residential utility bill/Letter (excluding mobile phone bills) dated in the last 3 months
- HM Revenue and Customs letter dated in the last 3 months
- Department for Work and Pensions letter dated in the last 3 months
- Occupational pension letter dated in the last 3 months
Please note that proof of address must be either the current proof or within 3 months as applicable or it cannot be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT ACCEPT BANK LETTERS/STATEMENTS AS PROOF OF RESIDENCY.
If you pay your bills online, and do not receive paper copies, a printout of your online bill is acceptable.
If you do not provide proof of your name, age or address with your application we will not be able to accept your application for a Freedom Pass.
If you are unable to post or email the required documents, you must contact the Freedom Pass helpline on 0300 330 1433 to discuss and make arrangements to bring the documents relating to your application/renewal to London Councils.
All Freedom Pass applications require a recent (within the last 12 months) passport sized colour photograph.
Your photograph must be:
- Colour and size 45mm x 35mm
- A current true likeness, showing your full face, facing forward without a hat
- Taken against a plain, evenly lit and pale coloured background
If your photograph does not meet the above requirements we will not be able to accept your application for a Freedom Pass.
If you are transferring from the 60+ Oystercard and have opted to share your information with us, we will be passed your photo by Transport for London, so you will not need to provide another.
Find your nearest Photo-Me booth.
How to add your documents. Watch our handy video
To meet the standard required, please follow the guidance below:
- Facing forwards, looking straight towards the camera. Your whole head should be within the frame
- Nothing covering your face
- Your full head, without any head covering, unless worn for religious beliefs or medical reasons
- Taken quite recently
- Passport style and sized 45mm x 35mm
- Colour photograph, not a printout, taken against a plain background
- Undamaged, for example, by creases, staples, paperclips, or other marks
- Your eyes open and clearly visible. Reactor glasses may be worn so long as your eyes are clearly visible through the lens. Dark glasses are permitted if worn for medical reasons.
PLEASE NOTE YOUR PHOTOGRAPH MUST BE TAKEN AGAINST A PLAIN BACKGROUND
On some modes of transport the operator will visually inspect your pass. If the photograph is not a reasonable likeness you may be delayed or refused carriage.
If you cannot get to a photo booth because of your disability, we will accept another photograph taken of you.