Applications for the disabled persons pass are made to your borough of residence
The main categories of disability in the Transport Act 2000 which make you eligible for a Freedom Pass are listed below.
If you have any of the following disabilities you can apply for a freedom pass. These are:
1) People who are blind or partially sighted
2) People who are profoundly or severely deaf
3) People without speech
4) People who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has left them with a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
5) People who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
6) People who have a learning disability that is defined as 'a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning'
7) People who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, would have their application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.
If you believe you are in one of the eligible categories and are entitled to a Freedom Pass, you need to contact your borough for an application form.
Once your borough has assessed and confirmed your eligibility you will need to take your letter of authorisation to the Post Office, unless you live in one of the following boroughs, in which case your borough will process your application:
NOTE: You must make your application at the Post Office in person. You cannot send someone to apply on your behalf.
What documents do I need to bring?
1) You must provide ONE example from the list below as proof of identity:
2) You must also provide ONE example from the list below as proof of address:
The items below must be dated within the last 3 months
Tracking your application
Visit tracker.freedompass.org (opens in a new window) to track your application online.
To help you contact your council a list of links to websites and a phone number for each can be found below: