Key areas of work
As we emerge from the pandemic and the UK hosts COP26 late this year, climate is central to LEDNet’s activity. LEDNet’s work on climate is heavily focusing on London’s green recovery programme, working with our members and other stakeholders to maximise impact. Through the work the cluster delivers, we aim to support London boroughs in meeting their net zero carbon emissions target and provide strategic direction on the themes from the TEC-LEDNet joint statement falling within LEDNet Directors' portfolios.
The emphasis of LEDNet’s activity on climate change for 2021/22 is to:
- Provide strategic direction and leadership within boroughs and support coordination and best practice around climate;
- Influence the development of national policy on climate and support advocacy of our policy positions in the run up to COP26;
- Build on the climate capability programme delivered in 2020 to further support training and skill development within boroughs; and
- Support strategic communications work around climate change and support community engagement practices.
LEDNet's work on climate is led by Dan Jones, Divisional Director for Public Realm at LB Tower Hamlets. Other London boroughs represented on the cluster are Southwark, Ealing, Islington, Hounslow, Enfield, Lewisham, Merton, Havering, Kensington and Chelsea, Camden, City of London, Redbridge, Sutton, Barking and Dagenham, Westminster, Hammersmith and Fulham, Newham. The cluster meets four times/year.
External organisations on the cluster include London Councils and ReLondon.
Projects and publications
Recent work on climate includes:
- The coalition have also outlined why it is essential local authorities can play a central role in the Government's Net Zero Strategy
- A coalition of organisations have set out a blueprint of how the government can accelerate climate action
- Climate capability training for senior officers and elected members
- London's pilot of the ClimateView software.
- A joint statement on climate change with the Transport and Environment Committee
Engaging with the cluster
Please contact the LEDNet team if you have queries relating to LEDNet’s work on climate change or are interested in presenting at a meeting.