In June 2018, the London Environment Directors' Network (LEDNet) published a position paper on London's current resources and waste system, suggesting that London's approach should centre around reducing the volume of waste created and foster a primarily circular economy.
The position sets out principle asks for the national government, the Greater London Authority (GLA) businesses to deliver London's resources and waste targets and move towards the circular economy.
LEDNet has committed to work with the GLA, London Waste and Recycling Board (LWARB) and Waste Disposal Authorities (WDAs) on a range of actions, including:
- Working towards a common vision for delivery of London's resources and waste objectives
- Supporting greater collaboration between member boroughs
- Supporting effective behaviour change campaigns
- Increasing the simplicity and consistency of communications around household waste and recycling
- Trialling methods of restricting residual waste collections