London Councils has submitted a response to the first stage of the consultation on the National Funding Formula (NFF) for schools as well as high needs.
Key messages from London Councils’ consultation response are:
- London’s education system has been transformed over the last 20 years, with London having the highest percentage of schools that are good or outstanding of any region in the country.
- Despite protections on schools funding, schools spending per pupil has already faces reductions in real terms in many of our schools and the Institute of Fiscal Studies predicts it is likely to fall by 8% over the next five years.
- Reducing funding to London’s schools could have a detrimental impact on the success of their continued improvement.
- In response to the Government’s consultation, London Councils is calling for:
- No local authority area to experience a loss in schools funding as a result of the new National Funding Formula.
- While levelling up would require additional resources, driving up standards across the country should be a government priority for investment.
- Local flexibility in the allocations process is vital to ensure schools have access to funding to respond quickly and effectively to changing local circumstances.