This is a statement of the Data Protection policy adopted by London Councils to cover its obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998 ('the DPA'). If you need to enquire further or make a subject access request, please email FOI-DPAComplaints@londoncouncils.gov.uk.
London Councils needs to collect and use certain types of information about people with whom it deals in order to operate. These include current, past and prospective employees, suppliers, clients, customers and others with whom it communicates. In addition, it may occasionally be required by law to collect and use certain types of information of this kind. This personal information must be dealt with properly however it is collected, recorded and used (whether on paper, in a computer, or recorded on other material) and there are safeguards to ensure this in the DPA.
London Councils regards the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as very important to successful operations, as it maintains confidence between those with whom it deals. London Councils ensures that its organisation treats personal information lawfully and correctly.
To this end, London Councils fully endorses and adheres to the Principles of Data Protection, as enumerated in the DPA.
Specifically, the Principles require that personal information:
(1) Shall be processed fairly and lawfully and, in particular, shall not be processed unless specific conditions are met;
(2) Shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes;
(3) Shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed;
(4) Shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date;
(5) Shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or purposes;
(6) Shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under the Act;
(7) Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data;
(8) Shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedom of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
Therefore, London Councils will, through appropriate management, and strict application of criteria and controls:
In addition, London Councils will endeavour to ensure that: